November 20, 2013

My new home!

 Im so sorry it has taken me so long to post but it has taken me about a week to get settled, comfortable, and get a new routine. I have noticed that in situations like this it's better to have a routine so the time does not drag on! While at home, 6 weeks flew by because of that so hopefully it will be the same here. 

In case some of you didn't know, last Tuesday the 12th Dr. Kirshon admitted me into the hospital like we had been expecting. I had lost some more fluid but not enough for him to be concerned just wants me here because they could deliver if they had to now. He said Cannon still had plenty for lung development and he said he believes I will continue to stay pregnant for a couple of months. Right after the appointment they wheeled me over to my new room at The Woman's Hospital of Texas. They immediately shoved paper work in our faces, strapped the monitors on me for the boys and hooked me up to an IV. At the moment it was scary because they seemed in a hurry and made me feel like everything was an emergency. It began to make me very anxious. While they were putting the monitors on me they had a hard time finding the heart beats so they kept pushing and pulled the belts tighter and I kept leaking and began to contract, which I have not done this whole pregnancy. I started getting stressed as were the boys and they kept running from the monitors making them harder to find. Thankfully Dr. Kirshon walked in to come check on me and he could tell I wasn't comfortable and he told them to back off and only do it twice a day for 10 minutes and not to push on Cannon (baby A). Even said just hold the monitor there if you have to. He said that the contracting was just irritability so that made us feel better. Finally that was over and they left us alone a little bit for me to eat dinner. During all of that they were hooking me up to an IV which had antibiotics (in case of infection), fluids (hydration), and magnesium (to prevent brain bleeds for the boys). The magnesium was rough. The initial dose made me feel like someone set me on fire and the next two days just made me always feel so hot! Plus got my first of two steroid shots in the booty to help their lungs progress. To say I was ready for the nurses to leave would be an understatement. Finally we got a moment alone and they told us to be expecting a visit from neonatology to inform us of everything that could possibly happen if we delivered at 24 weeks. I was dreading that visit because I knew it would be scary but I wanted them to come that night so Shawn could be with me to hear everything before he had to go to work the next day. Of course they came that night but at midnight... It's not like we were going to sleep much anyway! 

The Dr in charge of neonatology gave her speech and of course, it was not comforting. All the worst possible outcomes which I had prepared myself for and knew about but in the moment it was much harder to take in because it became very real with her actually in our room talking to us about it. But we just have to block out all the bad and stay positive and know we are going to be here a few more months! That night I didn't sleep at all from the beeping IV, feeling like I was on fire, and a nurse coming in every 2 hrs. Poor Shawn didn't sleep at all. I made him turn the air down so low and all he had was a tiny blanket! 

My mom came the next day to help me get settled and feel more comfortable and I am so glad she did! I don't know what I would do without her! It always makes you feel better when your momma is around! That day I just tried to catch up on sleep with naps here and there. All the nurses are very nice and take great care of me and the food is actually pretty good!! The rest of the week and weekend went well. I finally got off the magnesium on Friday and just continued antibiotics every 6 hours, I also take a pill every 6 hrs to help me not contract. 

On another note Shawn won his first round playoff game Friday against Manor! As quoted by Dave Campbell's Texas Football, "The biggest upset in the 4A bracket." I am so proud of him but it kills me I can't be there but I have been able to listen so I'm thankful for that! They play Summercreek Friday in The Woodlands! Good luck Mustangs!

Dr. Kirshon checks on me every morning and yesterday morning we had our weekly ultrasound! Of course I was excited to leave the room but more excited to see and hear our boys! He was very pleased! Fluid is still low and went down some in Cannon but still has enough for his lungs and he wasn't concerned yet. They are both almost two pounders!! Yay... Cannon is 1lb 13oz and Braxton is 1 lb 15 oz!! Both measuring ahead. He said if we could get them to 4 pounds that would be great. Said it may take 5 weeks. Overall he said he was very pleased!! News we like to hear! He said my labs came back and I'm infection free, which is exactly what we want. If not, Cannon might have had an infection also and then they might have had to go get them both. Since I'm infection free I am now off the IV completely! Yay!! Much more comfortable! Said for me to continue to drinks lots of fluids!!! 

Some of the nurses have told me that there are plenty of moms here just like me. Early in the pregnancy and making this place their new home. And to be thankful that I'm still allowed to get up to go to the bathroom and shower!! Some moms don't get to do that! So I am more than thankful for that!

Today we hit 25 weeks! What a blessing that is! We are thankful for every day!! Dr. Kirshon said not to think in terms of months but in terms of days because every single day they stay inside counts!
We are beyond blessed God chose us to be these sweet boys mommy and daddy! We love them so much, we can't even explain! Thank you for your thoughts, cards, packages, flowers, visits and most importantly prayers! Prayer has got us this far and will continue to carry us through! We love each and every one of you and you all play a huge part in our families lives!! Thank you so much!

Sorry it's so long but so much has happened in a week! 

Can't believe the Holidays are here! Enjoy your time with family and friends!

Love,
Shawn, Hali, Cannon and Braxton

A few pictures from the week!

Dads party before I was put in the hospital!

23 weeks 5 days

 Last day in the real world!
 
First monitor of the boys!

My view for a few days

Braxton at 24 weeks 6 days



No comments:

Post a Comment