April 13, 2014

Home Sweet Home

I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to get this update up but as you can imagine we have been rather busy! On December 6th, being at home with Shawn and our boys seemed so far away. At times, I didn't know if we would ever be able to come home but Hallelujah that day finally came! After 119 days in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Children's Memorial Hermann in Houston, we got to come home and finally be a family at home! We were able to have Braxton home for almost 3 weeks before Cannon came home. Even though it was so amazing having Braxton at home, we were still longing to have Cannon with us so our family could be complete! Finally that day came for Cannon and we were overcome with joy! On the hr and a half drive down the morning to get Cannon, I took the time to reflect on our journey since September 30th. It's is still hard for me to believe that our first Dr. told us that we would lose this pregnancy and that we needed to prepare ourselves for the loss. I still remember that day so vividly. As soon as she told me that, the momma bear in me came out and I was determined to do anything I could to keep my boys alive! 11 weeks of bed rest later, they made their arrival 3 months early!! I knew the moment that they delivered the boys and they didn't come out crying like normal babies, that this would be a long road and a true test of our faith. They both had a rough start but have overcome so much already in their first months of life. While I was in the delivery room, I felt so guilty for not being able to have a normal pregnancy. I just remember saying to Shawn, "I tried my best to keep them in and I'm sorry I couldn't do it longer!" He took my hand and said, "You did an amazing job. These boys are already fighters and they will continue to fight!" That is exactly what they have done. The first night was the roughest for them but they pushed through and were determind to make it! It was then that I knew these boys are not only miracles but they are both true testaments to God's healing powers! I knew then that God had big plans for them!

Lately we have been spending a lot of time at the Dr with follow up appointments. Cannon is 9lb 12 oz & 21in long and Braxton as of a week ago was 10lb 7oz 21 in long. I'm sure he has gained some weight since then! Cannon came home on a heart monitor. He still was having a few Brady's (reflux related) before he left the hospital. The Brady's have gotten much better and are almost non existent but the reflux has been really frustrating! I hate it because he looks so uncomfortable because of it! Dr's say he will grow out of it with time and as long as he is gaining weight, which he is, then we just have to wait it out! Other than that he is such a happy baby! Braxton loves having Cannon home and they both love their brother time and playing with Mommy and Daddy! They are both getting so strong! They smile and try to laugh all the time! But the best part is they are sleeping great through the night! They only wake up once to eat! We put them down around 9:30 and at 2 they eat. Then they sleep until 7 or 8! Their best news yet is from the Neuro Dr. Dr. Sandberg. He said that Braxton's brain bleeds have resolved and that he thinks Cannon will be the rare kid that won't have to have another surgery! He still wants to watch him very very close just because this doesn't happen much at all. Which we are perfectly fine with. We were going weekly but at our last appointment he extended it to 3 weeks! He is very very pleased with the way things are looking! So our prayer is that God will continue to control this situation and have his hand on both the boys! 

I'm sorry this post is so long but there is so much to tell! 

I also want to take this time to thank everyone who has helped up get through this journey! We have received cards, txts and calls from people we didn't even know! The encouragement that we have received from everyone has been so humbling! For people to take time out of their day to txt, call, visit and pray for our family is the best feeling in the world. I wish I had the words to describe how it made us feel! Especially seeing pictures of everyone wearing their bracelets for the boys was so so awesome!! Each and every one of them put a smile on my face! I also want to thank lots of people so just bare with me! First, I want to thank all of my friends and family who stayed with me during bed rest. My mom, dad, aunt Meme, mother in-law Becky, Shawn's grandmother Nana, and my friend Sarah Domel! Thank you for giving up a week of your life to help make Cannon and Braxton make it to this day! I want to thank all of the Dr's and nurses who gave 110% of their effort and attention at all times! We wouldn't be here without you guys! Also, like to thank Cannon and Braxton's primary nurses Lori Walker and Brittany Kemery. Thank you for loving our boys as your own! We also met many many families throughout our stay in the NICU who we still continue to pray for! The Dodson, Kemp and Horton famililes are three couples that we got to know very well and are blessed to know them! Thank you to Ben and Trisha Fuller for giving us encouragment and hope during our stay. It was such a blessing to meet you and develop a friendship! It was so nice to have someone to talk to who had been through this also! I want to thank my school and our football family for providing meals for us during my 6 weeks of home bed rest. We loved them all and are thankful you helped us during this time. Also, my brothers and their awesome wives for opening their home to me for 2 months during the most critical times for the boys. It was such a blessing and helped my heart feel more at ease knowing I was only 30 min away instead of an hr. and a half. Having someone live with you isn't always the most ideal situation but when you're family, you make it work! We also could not have made it through without our incredible parents! I seriously couldn't think of 4 better people to have in our corner. Their support, encouragment, faith and love is what kept us going! Thank you for your help during those first couple of weeks with the boys home! We would not have made it without your help! Thank you for driving 3 1/2 hrs every weekend to be with the boys and us! We love you all so much and thank you for being such great examples of a Godly marriage and for loving us so much! Thank you to my mom who has been my best friend throughout this whole process. She was always there when I needed to talk and reassured me that all would be ok! Last but not least my loving, strong, devoted, and supportive husband. Having your wife not be able to get out of bed or off the couch for 11 weeks isn't the ideal situation in a marriage but Shawn never complained, not once! He was eager to help me in any way he could. Since the day we found out about all of this, he never once let negativity enter either of our minds! He was the one who researched to find the best Dr. He was determined to meet his boys! It's times like these where I just have to stop and say thank you God! Thank you for sending me a man who loves me and our children so much. Thank you for sending me a man who honors our vows of sticking together in the good times and bad. Thank you for sending me a man who loves you Lord and trusts in your will for his family! Thank you for sending me a man who will be a dad that is an example of Christ! Thank you God for picking the most unbelievable man to be my husband! I can't imagine life without him! Thank you God!

During this journey I not only have grown as a person but I have grown as a Christian. Crazy as it sounds but I am grateful for all of the craziness! It has allowed me to pray for our boys and our family the way I probably never would have prayed for them during my pregnancy. It has also strengthened my relationship with The Lord! The level of our relationship now is unexplainable. This was a situation where I truly had to let go and let God! We control so much of what we do in our every day life but it's times like these when we get that reality check that says you are not in control. Sometimes it's hard to let that sink in but it's so true. All we can do is believe and trust that he will provide and HE ALWAYS does! Thank you Lord for giving me my hearts desire of having a family! We will raise our boys to know you, love you and trust in you. For you are the ONLY reason they are here with us. We love you and we thank you! Amen

Thank you for coming on this journey with us! We love you all!

Please forgive me for any typos... I'm seeing double these days :)

Trusting in him ALWAYS,
Shawn, Hali, Cannon & Braxton

Now for the cute stuff :)



No comments:

Post a Comment