December 8, 2013

Cannon and Braxton are here!!!

As most of you already know from looking at Facebook Friday night, our sweet Cannon and Braxton got a little anxious to meet their mommy and daddy and came a little bit earlier than we had hoped for but we were excited to get to see their sweet faces! They are precious and already blessing our lives so much! We are in love! This post maybe a little long but we just want to make sure that we give the latest on what is going on with the boys since so many are asking. There are lots of terms and abbreviations that I may use but I will try to explain it the easiest way possible. We are still learning and asking many questions every time we see them! 

First, I want to fill you in on how we got to this point because I was just as shocked and many of you probably were! Friday morning woke up feeling great, hadn't really had many contractions for a few days. Dr. Kirshon had checked on me that morning and said everything looks good and said I think we'll make it to the new year! My sweet friend Ashley Horstman Ethredge had visited me most of the early afternoon and that is when I started feeling a little uncomfortable in my lower back. Didn't think much of it because of all the back pain I had been in before. When she left I went to the bathroom and tried to rearrange the way I was laying and my back started hurting worse and started having some contractions that were more painful than any of the others. I called the nurse to come put me on the monitor and after about 20 minutes she confimed that I was definitely contracting pretty close together. She called Dr. Kirshon and he said to give me a shot to try to slow them down but you are not allowed to have that shot if your heart rate is above 120 and I was about 135. He told her to give me a shot for pain which did not help AT ALL. I called Shawn a little bit before that and told him to head my way becuase I had a bad feeling. He called our friend Damon to see if he was close to downtown to see if he could come sit with me until he could get there and he was actually on his way to Reliant Stadium to watch Katy high school play football and was on his was there. So he and his wife Jessica, my sweet friend, came to sit with me and help me through the contractions, soon after Shawn arrived. Next thing I knew the on call dr. Dr. Hare came in and started me on a IV with fluids and antibiotics. She sent me to Labor and Delivery so that I could have a nurse with me one on one. My contractions were getting worse and when I got there they started me on Magnesium which is used to slow them down but I wasnt responding. She checked my cervix and my stitch was still in place but right after she did that I started bleeding pretty bad. The pressure from the contractions was just too much on my on my cervix and stitch. She called the Dr. Hare and she said to prep me for delivery. The next thing I hear from the nurse was that things were going to move fast and that Dr. Kirshon had turned around and was on his way back to deliver me. Thank goodness! I really wanted him to deliver me because he has always made me feel comfortable. They wheeled me back to prep me with the epidural and to wait on Dr. Kirshon. Epidural is my new friend!!!! WOW, amazing! Finally the Dr. arrived and they began. Brought Shawn in to me seconds before we got to see sweet Cannons face at 8:04 pm weighing 2 lb and 10 oz. Shortly after lots of tugging and pulling, came precious Braxton at 8:05 pm weighing 2 lb and 10 oz. Sadly they did not show Brax to me because they rushed them off to the NICU to get them started on everything they needed. Next, I was wheeled into recovery and stayed there for a about an hr. The NICU nurses and NICU Dr. wheeled them both in individually to let me see them in their new little homes with lots of warmth! I got to touch them and take a few quick pictures but that was it! After recovery they wheeled me to my room to stay until I was released and I was greeted by so many loving, smiling faces of friends and family. My parents and Shawn's parents both made it in time, which I was so thankful for. After talking to everyone for a little bit which I don't really remember, it was time for bed and I was exhuasted! 

The next day I was ready to see my babies!!! I wasn't able to until I could get up on my own and go to the bathroom, which I did very quickly! Finally got to see the boys and my heart melted! It was very scary to see all the wires and everything hooked up to them and of course I was crying but it is obvious that they are in the best care possible and are being well taken care of. Once we find some nurses there that we like the best we can request certain ones that respond well to the boys and that they respond well to also. They are all great but some just make you feel more comfortable than others. 

So, I know so many are wondering how the boys are doing and we are so thankful for all of your concern. I have just being trying to adjust to our new normal and actually trying to figure out what is going on with them myself. I will try to break it down as easiest as possible so here it goes. The first night is always the scariest and it was the scariest for Cannon since he was the one whose fluid had ruptured. His little lung collapsed but they were able to get it going with a chest tube to drain the fluid and lately they haven't really been getting any fluid from it so that is great. They actually removed it this today! As of last night he may get it out tomorrow, so saying prayers he handles that well! Both have pulmonary hypertension ( high blood pressure) and had to be placed on dopamine but they are off of it now! Both are on a ventilator as expected because their little lungs were just so under developed but they are not having to rely on it as much. They are breathing at 23% and 21% which we breathe oxygen at 21% so that is great! That number also changes every day and they said not to get frustrated if it is turned up more from when we are there at a different time. Said it is normal. Also as of last night nurses said they are going to take the ventilator off of Cannon and see how he responds. This morning Cannon did not like being off the ventilator so they had to put it back. They decided to go ahead and do the surgery to repair the PDA in his heart which would close it off to where his blood would flow throughout the body instead of backwards. The surgery was successful Praise Jesus! We were told Cannon had the best surgeon in the country so that was reassuring! This surgery should help him come of the vent. They also were able to get their PIC lines in two nights which is a central line for fluids and meds. They had to have it before the 10th day becuase the other they had in their belly button would only last that long, so we are thankful they got it in. It can be hard becuase their veins are so small! All nurses have said that everything they are going through and are facing are obstacles that all premie babies faces when they are in the NICU and it is normal. So all in all the boys are doing good for where they are in their age so that is all we can want at this time! Still just taking it one day at a time.

As of now, I am staying with my brother T.J. and his wife Ali while I recover so I can be close to the boys. Shawn will be in and out of work depending on how busy he gets. My wonderful amazing mother is with me this week since there still are some things I can't do like lifting and driving mainly. Seriously don't know what I would do without her! SO thankful she is here. Unfortunately the boys are not allowed to have visitors other than parents and grandparents. I haven't even been able to hold them yet which is killing me but I just want what is best for them at this point. When all the lines from their umbilical cords are out we will be a little bit closer. Just one line left so hopefully soon! Please be patient with us as we process all the information given to us. We promise to update as much as we can but it will be a long journey and the boys are expected to be their until their due date which is March 5th. We will let you know when they are allowed visitors but until then we will take and post lots and lots of pictures, don't worry about that!

We are adjusting to life with premies as expected! A little chaotic! We are just trying to get organized and use to our new normal. We are humbled by all of your prayers and thoughts and I wish I had the right words to say how grateful we are for them but all I can say is a million times THANK YOU! You are the reason our boys were able to last until 27 weeks, which all the NICU nurses were amazed by and say they never see that after a rupture. I know you all will be the reason that the boys will progress throughout the next few months! We believe in prayer and know our God is mighty and would never give us anything we can't handle and he knows that Shawn and I are strong and will be able to get through this and especially with are faithful prayer warriors!! We love you all so much and are so grateful for you all!! 

Here are our sweet baby boys!!

Cannon

Right after he was born!
My first time meeting Cannon. 
Finally got to see one of his eyes!
With Shawn's wedding ring. 
Before and after his first surgery...look at that sweet face!




Braxton
After being delivered. He is so dark from bruising when they were getting him out. His color is much better now. 
My first time meeting him. 
Our sweet tiny Brax!
Brax looking at us!
A NICU diaper!
With Shawn's wedding ring. 
Cannon on left and Braxton on right with Shawn's ring! 



















1 comment:

  1. I know that you are so busy, and writing the blog is not the first thing on your list of todo"s, but that you so much for the update. We have been praying for you and the boys at our church and here in our home and will continue to do so until you and Shawn can take them home! God is so good and He hears our prayers.

    ReplyDelete